of American English
The Cambridge Dictionary of American English is the first dictionary of American English to help learners find the meaning they are looking for and use English more effectively.
- Organized by meaning: each meaning is given its own entry, clearly marked with a entry word.
- Lots of examples, and lots of full-sentence examples taken from a database of 100 million words of spoken and written American English.
- More than 3000 common idioms are explained, and an index helps to find them
- Language Portraits offer in-depth explanations of difficult topics like grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling.
- Canadian and British coverage: the most important words and meanings used in Canadian and British English are included.
- Restricted defining vocabulary: definitions are written using a carefully selected group of 2000 core words that learners already know.
- American pronunciations written especially for this dictionary are presented in standard International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) characters.