HOW TO USE A DICTIONARY
PICTURE BOOK FOR CHILDREN
- Are you students improving their vocabulary and understanding on their own?
- Do your students use a dictionary as often as they should?
- Do they complain that dictionaries are too confusing?
- Are they sometimes needlessly confused when they could have just used a dictionary?
- Would you like to be remembered as the teacher who taught how to use a dictionary and instilled a love of words?
Enjoy teaching more! Teach your students the basic data how to use a dictionary!
This book includes the contents of the HOW TO USE A DICTIONARY PICTURE BOOK plus additional information added to help a teacher lecture to a classroom from this book. This data has been added based on teacher's actual classroom experience.
- The entire content of the original HOW TO USE A DICTIONARY plus additions for teachers printed in red.
- An introduction for the teacher
- Additional class activities printed throughout the book. These activities help improve the students understanding.
- Optional Group Projects
- Additional comments to help the teacher.
- Troubleshooting techniques that restore interest and understanding.
- Reproducible review test with a comment in the book about when to use it. (Answers follow on the following pages.)
- Reproducible Drills with comments on when to use them. (Answers follow on the following pages.)
- Reproducible summary of the steps need to fully understand a word from a dictionary.
Data on what is in HOW TO USE A DICTIONARY PICTURE BOOK.
The basics of how to use a dictionary can be taught and should be! All of the basics needed to understand most dictionaries are taught. Plus, this book teaches the reader techniques on how to fully understand a word and all if it's meanings. Even if you or your students or children already know some of the data in this book they could vastly improve their ability to use a dictionary from just learning a few of the many basic concepts taught in this book.
Sample page from HOW TO USE A DICTIONARY PICTURE BOOK
This extensively illustrated book starts off simply by explaining what a word is. It explains:
- Words and the importance of understanding them.
- How a dictionary can help with spelling, pronunciation, and understanding
- alphabetical order
- entry words
- guide words (the words at the top of a page)
- how words are defined in a dictionary
- how to use a dictionary to understand words.
This book has drills where students can work in pairs to help each other. For a teacher or parent we recommend the How to Use a Dictionary Teacher Manual. The teacher manual has additional data to help the parent and has additional data for the teacher who wants to communicate this information in a classroom-lecture environment..
There are drills on:
- Learning alphabetical order well so that words can be easily looked up.
- Accent Marks
- Pronunciation Symbols
- Parts of Speech
- Marks and Symbols
- Using a Dictionary
This book also has an extensive illustrated Glossary with easy to understand definitions.
This book will teach your students or child the vital skills needed to use a dictionary. Don't just tell your students or children to use a dictionary, get them the skills they need to be able to get the most out of a dictionary. This will help them to do well in school and in life.
What someone had to say after taking a course based on this book
"In the course 'How to Use a Dictionary', I learned a lot of things like marks and symbols, parts of speech and actually how to use a dictionary, how to find a word fast using the alphabet and the guide words. There is a lot of things that I learned that I can't remember right [now] but I know that I'll remember it later and I won't forget because I know I'll use it later in life. Thanks to World Literacy Crusade now I know a lot of things that I didn't know." M.G.