(Paper cover + CD for PC & Mac)
The CD can be installed to your hard drive for instant access. You just have to let the software validate you are an owner by inserting the CD every 30 days.
This dictionary also has derivations (Word Histories) with the Definitions but only the CD. These can sometimes help you understand the word more fully by giving you the basic concept behind the definitions. The CD also installs to the hard drive for instant access and pronounces the word. Click here to see a sample screen from the CD. From the prior edition.
About the CD:
- Fully installs to hard drive. (Insert CD only once every 30 days.)
- Windows expand to full screen (useful when you are looking to decide which definition was intended)
- 15,000 derivations (word histories, on the CD only)
- 2,000 word defining vocabulary (so you should not have to look up too many words in the definitions)
- 84,000 words and phrases defined
- Search on:
- Full Entry
- Limit Searches based on:
- Frequency by top:
- word origin:
- Part of Speech
- Labels on how the word is used.
From the publisher:
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
FOCUS ON ACADEMIC SKILLS
- 185,000 words, phrases and meanings
- 73,000 natural examples show words in context
- Expand your vocabulary using the thesaurus boxes
- 5,000 etymologies help you learn the origins of words
- 10,000 synonyms and antonyms
LONGMAN ACADEMIC E-TUTOR CD Rom
- Academic wordlist highlighted to help you understand high-level academic texts .The Writing Guide helps to improve your essay writing
- 6,000 new words for content vocabulary such as Science and Social Science
- Full color technical illustrations for concepts such as ecosystem, nitrogen cycle, DNA
- Prepare for exam success with interactive practice exercises for SAT@, TOEFL@ and TOEIC(R)
- Your personal Study Center helps to improve your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills
- Improve your pronunciation -all headwords and 12,000 example sentences pronounced
A quick look is all it takes with the signpost system which shows you the meaning you want much more quickly. The 3,000 most frequent words in American speech and writing are also clearly marked so you know which words are more important to know than others.
You'll find simply the best spoken English coverage here, shown as it is really used. 2,000 Americans from across the USA were recorded in their day-to-day activity. Their conversations form the basis of the revolutionary Longman Spoken American Corpus. Using this corpus, as well as the Longman Written American Corpus, to create the definitions and the 66,000 examples which illustrate the words reveal just how the language is really used.
This dictionary uses clear definitions using only 2,000 words which learners at this level already know, means that there's no need to look up other words within definitions.
Grammatical patterns are highlighted for the learner to learn and usage notes throughout show clearly correct word choice. Phrasal verbs, such as "latch onto", are explained in full.
This dictionary opens up the world of English. 84,000 words and phrases, including newer words such as dot.com, HOV lane, HTML and e.coli, keep you up to date with the latest language. 4,000 encyclopedic entries such as Rosa Parks, Benjamin Franklin, and Mount Rushmore give you the cultural information you need for a full understanding of the language. This is a large and complete dictionary (see sample).
There are 16 color pages of topic-based photos and illustrations bring the language to life.
Click here to see a sample inside this dictionary.
What our eLearnAid customers say about prior editions...
"I recently ordered a copy of 'Longman Advanced American Dictionary'. It is really a great book. I love it! I'm thinking about getting another one for my brother."Y. J., Freehold, NJOther Testimonials and Referrals
"Students no longer have to sift through multiple definitions of a single entry until finding just what they need because for many entries LAAD introduces highly visible, concise guidewords that quickly focus a student's attention on the specific meaning sought." Kerry S. Vrabel, La Guardia Community College, USA
"We encounter lively, natural-sounding examples every time we look up a word in this dictionary. It is my hope that students in Japan communicate with English speakers around the world with the help of this Longman Advanced American Dictionary." Professor K. Torikai, Rikkyo University, Japan
"The thorough definitions and the vocabulary befitting second language learners make it one of the most comprehensive and comprehensible dictionaries developed." Bernadette Garcia, Suffolk County Community College, USA
"The Longman Advanced American Dictionary will prove its value over and over to students seeking answers to sticky questions about English grammar." Betty Schrampfer Azar, Author of The Azar Grammar Series
"The dictionary is visually impressive as well. Full-color and black-and-white illustrations enrich the definitions and help students grasp the meanings of new words." M. Lynn Poirier, Maryland Language Institute, USA
"A must for every serious student of English!" Patricia A. Richard-Amato, Professor Emeritus California State University, Los Angeles
Minimum System Requirements:
- Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP
- Mac OS X (10.2) 500MHz
- 128MB RAM
- CD or DVD drive