From the publisher
The #1 children's dictionary in America is now completely revised with a stunning design! With more than 3,000 images and 35,000 up-to-date entries, the most trusted name in children's reference is easy to navigate and fun to peruse. Authoritative, accurate, and current, the Macmillan Dictionary for Children is the ideal resource for beginning readers and spellers.
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, July 2007
Paper Over Board, 848 pages
Ages: 8 - 12
Grades: 3 - 6
Comments on the prior edition.
"Lively reference," New York Sunday News
"Highly recommended," Wall Street Journal
"The answer to a parent's prayer," San Francisco Chronicle
"A real dictionary for children," Christian Science Monitor
Expanded Entries - Fuller, more detailed information on:
- Clear definitions give the information children need, in language they can understand
- Easy-to-read pronunciations
- OVER 35,000 up-to-date entries
- Synonym lists help children select the right words
- Words that sound alike are clearly indicated
- More than 1,100 dazzling color illustrations and photos expand a child's understanding of words
- full captions add interest and information
- Spelling Tips at the beginning of each letter where children can find them easily
- word history paragraphs reveal the fascinating stories of how words came to be
- A Color Reference section, including: Presidents of the United States, Nations of the World Atlas of World Maps
Expanded Illustrations with how things work and what their parts are called:
- the Earth
- Hurricane Names
- Olympic games
- Braille and Sign Language
- Wonders of the World
- and more
- and much more!
Prior edition isbn: 1416939598
Click here to view a sample page from this dictionary.