Oxford-Hachette French English Dictionary Fourth Edition (Hardcover)
Le Grand Dictionaire Hachette-Oxford
This edition is now printed in two colors with the headwords and index now printed in blue.
This edition includes a free unsupported CD that pronounces words in French. It will only work with the CD in the drive. It is for Windows
From the publisher:
At Oxford we know what it's like to study a language, and we've designed this dictionary to support you every step of the way:
- Get the most accurate and up-to-date translations, and full information on the French spelling rules approved by the Academie Francise and other French-language bodies
- Find words and phrases quickly with out well-organized entries and easily accessible layout
- Get the very best in language learning support with extra grammar and usage help
- Compose letters, job applications, and emails with confidence using the French sample letters CVs and resumes and message templates
- Get practical help with the paperwork needed for renting, buying and living in France.
3600 words and phrases 550,000 translations
Acclaimed by language professionals the world over, the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary has long been the market leader. Using the statistical evidence provided by vast electronic databanks of language currently being written and spoken, our expert editors have made it the most comprehensive, reliable, and up-to-date dictionary of French and English available today. This fully updated fourth edition has even better coverage of the language than ever before, with improved treatment of acronyms and EU terminology, as well as thousands of new words in both English and French. A must for anyone studying the French language, this dictionary has been tailored to the needs of students in consultation with key academic advisors. This edition contains even more of the useful information for language students or part-time residents abroad, including sample bills and rental agreements. By far the most up-to-date and complete French dictionary of its size, it will provide one-stop shopping for all your language needs.
· NEW thousands of new words spanning everything from technology and medicine to colloquial slang
· NEW headwords in color and changes to layout to further improve accessibility
· Increased coverage of acronyms and EU terminology
· More material for students on their year abroad or anyone living in the French speaking world e.g. sample utility bills, bank statements, rent agreements
· NEW and updated cultural notes--grasp the essence of the language
· A 'numbers' page at the start of the dictionary covers the increasing frequency of numeric abbreviations, such as '0800 number' and '24/7'
"All types of libraries and students, along with those contemplating living or working in Anglophone and Francophone countries, will benefit from this dictionary....Highly recommended. All levels."--CHOICE
"A well-thought-out and -executed bilingual dictionary. Easily accessible with colored, alphabetic markings, the entries provide a wealth of information and examples to the user....The work is a worthwhile addition to any library or private reference collection, especially considering the price."--American Reference Books Annual
"You can never have too many langauge dictionaries but some are better than others, and if I had to choose one, it would be the Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary . Any library supporting French langauge studies needs to provide this reference work to its public."--Against the Grain
Click here to see a English French sample page.
Click here to see a French English sample page.