Oxford Elementary Learner's
Dictionary of English
This dictionary has been replaced by the Oxford Essential Dictionary
Although this dictionary is a "Beginning-Low Intermediate"
ESL (English as a Second Language) title it has been recommended to me by Mary Lewis. She is a tutor who gets excellent results and works individually with children and looks for indicators of non-comprehension. She found that children could use and understand this dictionary when other children's dictionaries were just too difficult. As a result, she uses this dictionary regularly and suggested I carry it.
"This is a very basic children's dictionary. Its greatest value is it keeps the definitions short and simple. I use it in my tutoring practice when a very basic definition is needed. I also recommend it to young students as their first dictionary." Mary Lewis
From the publisher:
Beginning-Low Intermediate level
This illustrated dictionary helps develop basic reference skills and provides accessible information on the meaning and use of essential vocabulary. Definitions are given in clear, simple English, and most are reinforced by example sentences and phrases. Contractions and abbreviations are fully explained in separate entries.
- Contains 15,000 carefully chosen references
- Each word is explained clearly and simply.
- Thousands of examples show how words are used.
- Illustrations of more than 550 words
- Irregular plurals and verb forms are shown in full.
- Includes many useful notes, helping with difficult words and giving related vocabulary.
- 16 Special illustrated pages are included on topics like Numbers, Prepositions, and Shapes and Sizes.
- Information on pronunciation is given for each word, with an easy-to-use key to the phonetic symbols at the bottom of every page.
View a sample page.